Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Happy and tired

Long day at the hospital…lots of hurry up and wait…arrived at 7am for admission and then once I was all hooked up to the IV I waited for a few pre-operation procedures. They wheeled me off to Radiology where I had a Fine-Wire localization.  This is a proceedure where the radiologist places a very fine wire into the tumour.  In my case the tumour is small so it will "point" to the area that needs to be removed.  The next proceedure was the Sentinel Node Biopsy.  This is used to identify and remove the underarm (axilliary) lymph nodes closest to the cancer site.  This proceedure takes place in the Nuclear Medicine area where they inject a "radioactive tracing agent" into the affected area and wait for it to move towards the lymph nodes under the arms.  All I can think of is the bright green glowing liquid from the Nuclear Plant where Homer works in the Simpson's but I'm pretty sure it's not the same stuff.  A short time later they wheeled me into a rocket ship type tube and took 2 "scans" or pictures of my upper body which will higlight the nodes for the surgeon.  Then back to surgical day care where I wait.  It is approximate 11:30 and my sugery is scheduled for 2:45 but in reality doesn't happen until 3:45.  Don sat with me the entire day (aside from grabbing a quick coffee) and didn't leave until just before I was wheeled off to surgery.  Its a lot of time to hang but with book in hand (The Hunger Games) which I finish, the time goes by fairly quickly.
Surgery went well.  Dr. Davis called Don to tell him everything went as expected and that she was happy with the removal of the tumour (very small) and 2 nodes.  She wants me to have an MRI and a follow up appointment in 2 weeks where we'll get the pathology results and a better idea of the next course of action. 

If this weren't enough for one day here's what happened after I woke up:

  • Don comes to get me with the kids.  They don't usually let kids in the day surgery area but because it's the end of the day and virtually empty they say its ok.
  • I'm tired but am in good spirits to see the girls and Don and just want to get home
  • Everyone is standing beside my bed and the nurse starts to unplug the HR monitor and take the IV out
  • The next thing I know, Emma falls back into the wall with all the oxygen, compressed air, electrical and various medical supplies
  • At first I thought she wasn't paying attention and backed into it but no she collapsed…hitting her head on a table and/or floor
  • She was out for just a second
  • Nurse is over in a nano second…lots of avail beds so the next thing we know Emma is on a gurney with a HR monitor getting her blood pressure checked
  • Large bump on her forehead…probably nothing but the Nurses are adamant that she goes to Emergency
  • Emma is fully cognizant…more scared than anything
  • I have to get dressed quickly and get into the wheel chair
  • Next thing we know an aide arrives and Emma gets wheeled to Emergency and I follow with Don pushing me in the wheelchair…WTF is happening !!!!
  • VGH doesn't treat kids but a doctor is kind enough to give her a quick exam…he doesn't think it's a problem BUT recommends we go to Children's Hospital….seriously ? we're in  hospital but can't get treated…
  • the Dr. looks at me and says "what's up with you?" "Well I've just had a partial masectomy and sentinal node biopsy and just got released 5 minutes ago that's all".  He then says, "Ok, so you have to get home, so instead of getting an ambulance for your kid, your husband has to take you home first and then take Emma to Children's"
  • Everyone jumps in the truck… Don stops at the pharmacy for my meds and then drops Jules and I at home and Emma and Don head off to Children's
  • Surprisingly small lineup at Children's and as soon as Don described how and where Emma's fall happened we got "relatively" fast treatment (only 2.5hrs)
  • No problems... Other than upstaging me, Emma is all good…very bizarre
I realize that being a parent means nothing is about you.  Even if you have Cancer.  And I'm ok with that.



I am doing well today, tired but happy knowing the tumour is out. 

9 comments:

  1. OMG - what a day! I'm thrilled to hear that everything went well for you and can't wait for your follow up.
    Sounds like Emma was a little overwhelmed - what with seeing her mom hooked up to goodness knows what and fainted - but can't believe you actually had to go to another hospital so she could be treated! Unreal! Glad to hear that she is good.
    Take good care and I'll be checking for more updates.
    XOXO,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Gotta love those geminis! We do love to be the centre of attention in a rather unconventional way!

    I am glad to hear that the surgery went well. I thought of you often yesterday.

    You are an incredibly strong woman whom I look up to and admire. I am thankful to have you in my life.

    I can hear your laughter as I write this and am looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Take care and rest.

    xoxo
    Brynnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good drama and funny how things go.... kids are always good distractions. Take care rest up! And Cancer is gone...We will beleive that. My dad just had his kidney out at the beginning of OCt and the pathology report came back that the cyst in the kidney was Cancer but the kidney is now gone and no treatment needed. Love you and see you soon! Do you need some good books to read?? Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. you amaze me! you are just plain amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds great, in german we call it "gut gemacht",
    steffi & thomas

    ReplyDelete
  6. so proud of you vicki. you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so proud of you also! I'm sending you my love from Saskatoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!! what a day u girlz had!! glad that part is over with... thinking of you often, hoping and praying for you... love you! donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya, do you need some good books to read? I have finally found books that I really enjoy! As I lay down with Teddy every night, I say to him "Guess who's favorite time of day it is?". To which he replies "My Mommy's". Then we read books before bed time. Books like "Dinosaur Days"...oh and inside the front cover it says "Emma Greenwoods".
    Thanks for adding so much to my life (not just the books).
    Take care of yourself and the girls and lets do lunch soon!!
    Thinking of you,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete