Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tues Oct 12, 2010 - The Back Story

Here are the facts - plain and simple.


I found a lump on the armpit side of my left breast.  This was mid June 2010. I have found lumps before and they often went away. But I have been obessed with my health ever since my mom died of lung cancer 3 years ago.  I immediately called my Dr. for an appointment to have it checked out.  Dr. Kurdyak, my GP is an amazing man.  He is very thorough and empathetic.  He was able to get me in for an ultrasound at the Breast Cancer clinic right away.  June 21, 2010, it was at this appointment they told me to come back in 6 months.  With great relief I left for a 2 month vacation with my family to our cottage in Kelowna.


I have a annual  mammogram every Sept and this appointment took place on Sept 13, 2010.  I was called 2 days later and advised to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound.  This appointment was scheduled for Sept 24.  It was at this appointment that the radiologist recommended a biopsy.  My core biopsy took place on Sept 30.  I received my biopsy results on Oct 7 at 4:30 pm.  Dr. Kurdyak told me that all 4 core samples contained cancer cells.  But he stressed that the good news for now is that the tumour is only 9mm in diameter.  That is less than a centimeter.  And there was no sign of it on my last year's mammogram.  So technically it has only been in my breast for less than a year.


My appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Noelle Davis is Oct 13 at 9:30 am.  My moto for today is "The Unknown is None of My Business".

No comments:

Post a Comment